Witnesses to the medieval period can be found throughout our region: from Nabburg's Old Town and Murach Castle in the Oberviechtach region, Burglengenfeld in the south and the castle ruin of Stockenfels.
On a wooded hilltop above the bend in the River Regen near Marienthal is the "Robber Knight's Castle" of Stockenfels, which is thought to date back to the 13th century. The castle complex consists of a west-facing outer ward and a main castle situated higher up. The best preserved section is the keep, which also served as a defensive fortress. It is probably the most infamous and legendary haunted castle in Bavaria. Legend has it that every night those who were guilty in their lives of "adulterating beer" should be banished.
This lovingly restored castle was owned by the eminent Hofer noble family. The family is mentioned for the first time in around 1180 as a ministerial clan of the Wittelsbach dynasty. The castle complex consists of a south-facing outer ward and the main castle to the north with a spiral Romanesque castle chapel with two upper floors for living and other useful space. The apse is adorned with frescos dating from the 2nd half of the 15th century. On guided tours, the recreated and furnished "torture chamber" of the castle is shown or the stories of the "headless rider" and "Wild Knight Jörg" are recounted.